July 9, 2012

Life's A Teacup, DRINK IT UP!!!

WOW!!! My life has felt like a whirlwind lately!! I can't believe it's already July!! Let's see...what's new since we've last met? Well, I'm now the proud mama of a beautiful seven-year old. 


Morgan's seven-year photos. We pulled off a dirt road and took them in an old orange grove. We were hungry and Teagan was in her car seat yelling, "I want out!",  which was motivation to move quickly. I think we were done in about 10 minutes. I didn't get a lot of big smiles but often times when I ask her to smile, it looks forced. That's why I love candid photography. Thankfully I have LOTS of her smiling. She's getting in to this "serious" posing business these days! See for yourself! :)






So, seven... I've been thinking a lot about this. Seven just sounds so much older than six. I really can't believe that we are here... and so soon! There is a window that is raised when a child is born. It is opened wide with a view to all the magic that childhood can hold. I'm aware that with each birthday that passes, that window closes ever so slightly. I know, I know...she's ONLY seven, but sometimes my mind runs away with me. I've always done this thing where I say, "double the time we've had her and she'll be...". I do it because I can never quite figure out how it's possible that time can move so quickly. It started at 6 months. I said, double the time we've had her and she'll be a year. Then at 18 months, double the time and she'll be three. Then at three, double the time and she'll be six! Now, she's seven...double that and you get fourteen. Sometimes Beau has to help me make my way back down to Earth by reminding me of just how much time that really is. Maybe that's true, but it certainly has flown by. I know that these next seven will too. It tugs at my heart a little, but here's the thing. Knowing that it's going to fly by gives me motivation. Motivation to fill these next few years with as many magical memories as possible. I know that a day will soon come where she won't buy into my letters from the tooth fairy, or my tales of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. It is up to us, up to me...to be sure that the space in her brain that is labeled "Childhood Memories", is filled to capacity with as much magic as possible. Of course there will be a space for life lessons and discipline acquired, those may not be covered in glitter but I realize that they are equally important and just as necessary, and one day she will too.  There is so much I need to teach her and I know the time for that is now. It's easy to pull out the boxing gloves at night when I'm in bed and beat myself up. I didn't do this, or I should have said that. I lost my cool there, or why didn't I ask that here. Trial and error is a part of parenting, and thank God that children are forgiving little beings. This is what I'm praying for now, that God will guide and direct me as I raise my girls. That He will give me the patience and wisdom that I need to handle situations that arise. That He will give me the strength to get back up when I stumble, or fall short. That I will be the best that I can be, and that I will provide for them in all that they need. Spiritually. Emotionally. Physically.

And this girl?

Life's a TEACUP baby, drink it up!!
 Well, let's just say she buys me some time. I remember when we made the decision to go for two, I was so incredibly torn. I was so worried that having a second child would somehow throw a wrench in the bond that I share with Morgan. Silly me, I was so wrong. That magic I'm talking about building in Morgan's memories? Teagan has multiplied that magic in ways I could never describe. She's feisty, spunky, and sweet. She keeps all of us on our toes for sure, but I know that she will extend the magic in our house. The four and a half years between my girls means that one day Morgan will be a player in building the magic for Teagan in those final years before her window drops shut. I know that life is filled with magical moments beyond childhood. Trust me, the experiences and emotions that motherhood has brought me are absolutely some of the best that I have. But there is something about childhood memories...no worries, no clouded judgment, no prejudice, no disbelief. When we're not looking, ever so gradually, those qualities fade. I know that I am establishing a pattern that they will one day repeat with my grandchildren. (If we're all so blessed.) My hope is that it is a pattern worthy of repetition.

And why does my heart swell when I sit back and read my thoughts that I've just put into words? Certainly not because I'm a grammar queen, or a spelling champion. Here it is...I read this quote this morning:

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection." ~Anais Nin

Yes, that just about sums it up. I want to taste this again one day. 

If you are interested in following along with me, well...I'd love your company. Please join to the right of your screen. Planning to catch up with another post in a few days. Until then...drink it up baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment