July 14, 2012

Lessons From Big Blue

I was blessed to be without a car for the entire month of June. While it inconvenienced me greatly, I'm calling it a blessing. What's that, I'm not making any sense? Well, I've been trying to focus lately on just how blessed I am. I mean, really think about it. There are so many in this world who are suffering in ways I could never imagine. When you put it into perspective, it seems very silly to complain about a broken down car. I think that sometimes the best way to appreciate what we have, is to go without it for a while. I've used this same principal in the past to teach my daughters a lesson. I'm afraid that many Americans live such rich, comfortable lives... that sometimes when things don't go exactly as we plan...well we throw a tantrum like an unruly toddler. Life will be filled with trials and adversity, but there is a peace that comes with finding contentment through tribulation.

*****************************************************************************

So, there I was... at the very beginning of summer, without a car. At first we thought it was a small repair, so we left it to sit in... "the shop." Oh, and by... "the shop", I mean the driveway. We thought we'd save a few pennies by letting my ever so talented, jack-of-all-trades husband take a look at it. The problem with that... is this. When you are a jack-of-all-trades, your plate tends to stay pretty full. One week passed and we quickly realized that Beau's Automotive Repair Center, wasn't getting very good nods from the BBB. So...Plan B, get someone to come look at it. Mechanic hopeful #1 thought he could make it out within the week, then mechanic hopeful #2 thought he could make it out within the next week. I went out of town for a week and put the whole thing out of my mind. Upon my return, I realized that putting it out of my mind did not result in a magical repair that left me with a fully functioning vehicle. SO, I picked up the phone and called for a tow. Long story short, I have my car back now. Turns out it was not a small repair, but I'm ever so grateful to have a running vehicle. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

There's a rainbow in the clouds. Let's talk about home. Turns out there is a lot of good that comes from just relaxing and spending some time at home. I'm not the most qualified to discuss this considering that I had occasional access to my in-laws' vehicles during my stint of house arrest, AND I spent a week at my mom and dad's house. A week which included visiting with family, time at the beach, the pool, gator chasing, and a trip to Disney World. However, I was home much more than I would have been had Big Blue been up and running. (I've never called my car Big Blue. I just felt like I needed something there.) So, what valuable lessons did I learn about the goodness of being home. Well, for starters...there is no rushing around to find a lost shoe or make sure that you remembered to pack the wet wipes as you frantically strap two little bodies in to the car so that you can fight traffic to get to where you are going. I'm a girl that likes to be on the go, but admittedly, it was a nice change of pace. 

We broke rules...I'm talkin' snow cones for breakfast. (I whispered that last part there.)

 

Suckin' it dry!


As always, chipped pink fingernail polish and tiaras are optional. 

Followed by oatmeal... of course!


 We played with ponies...



We rode bikes...


 And took morning walks...

Our $2 garage sale find. It's seen better days but Teagan LOVES it!!




We played with bubbles...




We... laughed, and danced, played with sidewalk chalk, read books, colored, played games, watched movies, made crafts, took naps, baked cookies, dressed up, pretended we were royalty, pretended we were animals, pretended, pretended, pretended...all within the boundaries of the place we call home.

So, when I talk about how blessed I am. I don't mean that I have the most, the best, or the nicest. I think that it's easy to get caught up in comparing our lives to the lives of others. A friend left this quote on a Facebook status of mine a few weeks ago: The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel.” ~Steve Furtick

In the age of Facebook and Pinterest, it's easy to look and compare, which can lead us to feel like our own lives are lacking. Here's the thing, nothing of this world can go with us when we're gone. SO WHAT, about designer clothes, and fancy cars. So. What. I've got clothes on my back and a Durango named Big Blue, who happens to be running well at the moment AND with A/C that's ice cold. I'll take it. Life is all about perspective. I'm learning, there will always be someone who has more than you, bigger than you, and better than you. On the other hand... for most of us there will always be someone who has less, smaller, and worse. If we spend our lives chasing more, more, more... then there is a good chance our lives will pass us by without ever tasting the peace that comes with being content. I'm not suggesting that we can't work to better our lives, and strive to achieve goals that will improve our way of living. But, we need to always be aware of the blessings in our lives, regardless of how big or small they may be. We shouldn't lose sleep over the desire to have a nicer kitchen or a bigger closet filled with fancier clothes. It seems that many times the folks in this world that have an abundance of wealth and the finest of earthly possessions, are still seeking. Enjoy life while you have it. It's something that can easily be taken away, so make the best of your circumstances today. Something to think about...one day this life will come to an end. There is no way to get around that. When that day comes, it won't matter how much you owned, how nice your house was, or whether you carried a Coach bag. It won't matter if you had perfectly polished toes or if your hair was always in place with fresh highlights. It won't matter if your skin was flawless and your teeth were straight and white. Nor will it matter if you drove a nice car, wore expensive jewelery, or went on extravagant vacations. Trust me, I like to feel good and get pampered just as much as the next girl. I enjoy getting dolled up and slipping into some new clothes. I like pretty things. My point is, they are all things. There are more important things in life. In the end, what we owned and how we looked won't matter. The way we choose to live our lives will. Make the best with what you've been given. This world is not our home. Have a great weekend everyone!

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt. 6:19-21

If you are interested in following along with me on my blogging journey, please do! You can join to the right of your screen.  

1 comment:

  1. Loved the bible verse at the end! I always love your blogs but that was an added pleasure today!

    ReplyDelete