July 17, 2012

Letting Go and Lessons Learned... at Skateland


 Last night at the skating rink, Morgan asked me if she could skate in the race. Secretly, I didn't want her to. I was hoping that she'd be content sitting on the sidelines as a spectator for just a little while longer. You see, we don't go skating very often... and she's just starting to get the hang of it. I don't like to underestimate my children, but let's just say that I'm aware that roller skating isn't quite yet one of her strengths. Somehow I managed to be mildly enthusiastic as I said, "Sure, if that's what you want to do. Just remember that as long as you try your hardest, that's all that matters." I was afraid that she would go out there and end up getting hurt, and I'm not talking about broken bones.

The whistle blew and the "black and white striped shirts" cleared the floor, it was time for the races to begin. Morgan was so excited, she had reminded me at least five times in the two minutes prior, that the races were about to start. I watched as she slowly made her way to the starting line. The whistle blew, and she was off. Sort of. She fell immediately, but then got back up. As she was leaving the line, another little girl was rounding the rink and coming up the other side. Obviously, it was not going to be a close race, but my Morgan kept going. She fell again, and got back up. Then again, and got back up. She rounded the end of the rink where one of my girlfriends, Teagan and I stood cheering for her. When she saw us she didn't skate over to the edge in defeat, but gave us a big grin and kept going. Falling several more times, but getting back up. She made it back around to the starting line, where one of the "black and white striped shirts" ushered her off of the rink. I watched from across the rink as she crumpled to a heap on the floor to rest.

During the few minutes it took her to make her way around the rink, I think I fought harder to choke back tears than I ever have. I'm not even sure which descriptive emotion to use to explain myself. It's hard not being able to reach out and grab your child's hand when they fall down so that you can guide them to the finish line. At the same time, I was so proud of her. She's never been much of a quitter, and even though she was one of the last... she finished. A few minutes later she made her way around to me and being true to her inner drama queen, let out an exasperated, "Whew", before falling into my lap. She was trying to fight off a big grin and this time I didn't have to try hard to sound enthusiastic as I told her how well she did. I let her know that I was so proud of the way that she kept going and told her that she'd really be set to race the next time. She smiled and nodded, then asked when the races would be over so that she could go skate again.

Somewhere between watching her fall down, watching her get back up, and seeing that big ol' grin on her face, something occurred to me. This is such a big part of who I want her to be. I've always encouraged her not to worry about what people think when it comes to being yourself and having fun. In other words, don't let someone else hold you back because they are worried about looking silly. I was worried for her, that she would end up disappointed or embarrassed. But she wasn't. She taught me a big lesson in a little area of life I like to call, "WHO CARES?" Are you having fun? And did you try your hardest? Well then, who cares how many times you fell down!? I think that sometimes we lose a little bit of that when we turn into adults. (By the way, when does that happen?) Anyway, I felt a little bit ashamed of myself that I mentally voted for her to sit it out, just so there wouldn't be a chance for her to get hurt. (And by that I mean that I didn't want her to feel bad if she didn't do well.) That's not the standard I want her to use when making decisions in life. Besides, how can we improve if we never start trying? So, last night gave me a lot to think about. I learned that sometimes our children teach us lessons that are as valuable as the ones we try to teach them. AND sometimes they teach us these lessons using tools that we've given them. I'm so proud of her and I hope that she NEVER, ever loses the confidence that enables her to fall down in front of hundreds of people, and then get up and give 'em a grin!

And now, for your viewing pleasure... our night at Skateland!

It was a big night for Teagan too! She rocked her first pair of skates, as well as her first French braid!!
So thankful for our good friends who loaned us these sweet little skates!
This girl did a lot of falling down too!
And a lot of getting back up with a grin!
Morgan and her sweet friend Lydia! (Her poor brother did end up with a broken bone!) Roller skating is dangerous business people!
Slowin' down for a pose!
Naturally, Ms. Independent didn't want my help when she stepped out onto the rink. After about her 15th fall she finally REQUESTED my assistance!
My little racing star warming up before the big meet! ;)
Sweet girls, making sure Teagan felt included!

So remember,

It's not the number of times you fall down that matter, but the number of times that you get back up that count!


I'm very excited about an upcoming post that includes a giveaway! Also, I've created a page on Facebook for Sit Down And Take A Brake. If you haven't had a chance, please drop in and give it a "like".  You can also subscribe at the top right of your screen! As always... thank you, thank you, thank you for your encouragement and support!! I'll be back soon!! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm really proud of both of you! Keep practicing. I have so many memories of Skateland. Great pictures, especially considering the lighting in there.

    ReplyDelete