July 26, 2012

Time marches on... (If mush isn't your thing, then look away!)

I came across this picture today.


 It's one that was developed from a disposable camera from our wedding (obviously). We have several variations of this photo, as there were at least 10 little ones that ran up to us with camera in hand. I sat studying it for several minutes and got a little lost in time. My first thoughts were centered around the fact that, man... we're actually getting older. That's something that happens when you're not paying attention. One minute your a teenager... and the next minute, you look in the mirror and your reflection has changed a bit.

After I wrapped my head around the fact that I'm not 21 anymore, my thoughts shifted.  As I sat staring at this picture, it occurred to me that I did it. I actually married the cutest boy that I've ever known. I know, I know... you think that you married the cutest boy ever. I won't argue with you, but I can honestly say that I think that this boy... is by far the cutest!! I started thinking about my 16 year old self. If my 29 year old self walked up to my 16 year old self and handed her the picture above and said, "This is who you're going to marry." I think my 16 year old self would have done a back flip. He's totally her type... cute face, blue eyes, nice smile, perfect hands... 16 year old me would have totally been into him. Suddenly my balloon popped and I slowly made my way back down to earth. Without realizing it, a big goofy grin had formed across my face. It was so goofy that I actually glanced around, embarrassed as if someone may have been watching me and reading my thoughts. Ten and a half years have gone by since I was first smitten by his big blue eyes in the moonlight, and his sweet ride.

Throw a couple of surf boards on top, and that would complete the picture. (I grabbed this one off of Wikipedia.)

A few things have changed since then, but one thing remains the same... he's still the cutest boy I've ever known. I tell him that a lot, and he rolls his eyes and scoffs... "yeah, right." What can I say, it's true. Even when he makes me SO mad that I can't see straight, I can't deny to myself that he's cute.


Two babies later and tonight after dinner he whistled when I walked by. I grinned when I was out of his sight, because whether or not I want to admit it... it felt good. There is nothing that goes untouched by time, myself included, but he still loves me.  One night when Morgan was a few months old, we were laying in bed. I was emotional and fussing about changes with my body. Beau rolled over and put his hand on my tummy and said, "without those, we wouldn't have her", as he gently nodded in the direction of Morgan's bed. I melted. In that moment that was all I needed to hear. We've had our share of ups and downs... but on April 3, 2004 we stood before God, our family, and our friends and we made a vow to one another. It's because of the sanctity of that vow that when life throws us lemons, the thought of running doesn't even cross our minds. Our only choice is to work it out... together. We have to overcome trials just like anyone else, but I am thankful to be married to a man who is willing to stand by me while we work through them. The appearances of youth will fade, our bodies will grow old and feeble. Love, respect, kindness, compassion... these things will continue to grow stronger. Ten years from now I hope that I'm even more in love with my husband than I am today.

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! You guys are such a strong and beautiful couple!!! We love you both so much!! It's always good to see strong couples in our YOUNG age ;-) so thankful you all are in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw your wedding picture, my first though was AMICI FOREVER and then "ok, start, skip, turn volume down - & pause" ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwww, this was so sweet and made me cry. :) What a wonderful marriage you seem to have!

    Iris♥

    The Blue Birdhouse

    ReplyDelete